Press Release Writing Tips...
1. Make sure the press release information is newsworthy.
2. Let the reader know that the information is intended for them and why they should continue to read it.
3. Begin with a brief description of the news, then distinguish who announced it, make sure to keep it in this order
4. Think about, "How are readers going to relate to this and will they be able to connect?"
5. Ensure that the first 10 words of your press release are effective, as they are the most critical.
6. Limit excessive use of adjectives and fancy language.
7. Focus on the facts.
8.Provide as much contact information as possible: Individual to Contact, address, phone, fax, email, Web site address.
9. To increase the chances of getting picked up. Make sure you you have something with enough substance to issue a press release.
10.Make it as easy as possible for media representatives to do their jobs.
Press Release Formatting Tips...
1. Use 8 ½ x 11 paper.
2. Use a minimum of one-inch margins on each side of the page.
3. Use a Bold typeface for the headlines to draw attention.
4. Capitalize the first letter of all words in the headline (with the exception of: "a", "an", "the", or prepositions such as: "of", "to", or "from"). The combination of upper and lower case makes it easier to read.
5. Complete the paragraph on one page instead of carrying it over onto the next page.
6. Use only one side of each sheet of paper.
7. Use the word "more" between two dashes and center it at the bottom of the page to let reporters know that another page follows. – more –
8. Use three numbers symbols immediately following the last paragraph to indicate the end of the press release: # # #
Press Release Template...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Web site address
City, State, Date — Opening Paragraph (should contain: who, what, when, where, why):
Remainder of body text - Should include any relevant information to your products or services. Include benefits, why your product or service is unique. Also include quotes from staff members, industry experts or satisfied customers.
If there is more than 1 page use:
(The top of the next page):
Abbreviated headline (page 2)
Remainder of text.
(Restate Contact information after your last paragraph):
For additional information or a sample copy, Contact: (all Contact information)
Summarize product or service specifications one last time
Company History (try to do this in one short paragraph)
# # #
(indicates Press Release is finished)